Wednesday, February 10, 2010

February 1st

No more counting days (but if I was it would be day 11)

A lot has happened since I last took the time to write, but its really only been about a week. A few bigger events include; starting work at FINCA, applying for jobs, looking for housing and Jill arriving in DC.

Working at FINCA has been going very well. Last week I worked Monday-Wednesday and then in the morning on Friday. Monday I settled into the office with Jean-Amiel, Tuesday I participated all morning in an orientation with a few other interns and on Wednesday I went to a brown bag discussion led by Paul Robinson (FINCA’s Chief Financial Officer in Haiti) and then Jean-Amiel took me out for lunch. While in the office most of what I do is organizing, posting jobs on the web and filing expense reports. I guess its not the most interesting work, but I’m glad to get this opportunity to learn about the intricacies of a large International organization. Hiring can be a huge part of an organizations efficiency, and Jean-Amiel is very adamant about responding to resumes and releasing accurate and complete information to several websites and schools. I have to say that after all the resumes and cover letters I’ve sent out, its kind of interesting to be on the receiving end. There has been some drama lately at FINCA because of the tremendous financial difficulties they are experiencing. My internship exists in part because there used to be two paid full time employees working for Jean-Amiel that were let go in the down-sizing. This is something I’ll just have to get used to in the field of Non-profit work. The money comes and goes with out assurance or commitment, and microfinance especially had a difficult time because they thrive on self-sufficiency. Anyways, I’m meeting lots of cool people at FINCA and I really think that this experience will be well worth the few days of unpaid labor I provide.
Speaking of getting paid…I’m hunting for a job. Any job will do (though I did stop short of asking for an application from McDonalds). On Saturday I went to a small building near Howard university called the Emergence Center for the Arts (or something close to that) to take my test for employment as a 2010 Census taker. I’m applying for one of their temp positions because the pay really well ($20 and hour) and they need people to work in the evenings and on weekends. I know this is temporary, but I’m just so anxious to start earning some money. I find out next week sometime if I’ll be hired.
One thing that’s made it difficult to really envision working somewhere has been that I don’t know where we’ll be living in a few weeks. Luckily, Megan has been able to find us a great deal for the end of March till the beginning of June. It’s a wonderful apartment in a complex with a pool on the roof, and exercise room, media room and free coffee! I love it and I can’t wait to move in. This month we are all three staying in a former Bed and Breakfast. It’s tight but we’re all happy to be in the same room with one another. I hope that doesn’t change.

No comments:

Post a Comment